The Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant is a state government initiative to help first home owners to get their new first home sooner.
Depending on the date of your contract, you’ll get $15,000 or $20,000 towards buying or building your new house, unit or townhouse (valued at less than $750,000). The grant is paid per new home and not to each of the applicants for the same home.
You can buy off the plan or choose to build yourself.
To be eligible for the grant:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
- You or your spouse must not have previously owned property in Australia that you lived in.
- You must be buying or building a brand new home.
- The value of the home including the land is less than $750,000.
- You must move into the new home as your principal place of residence within 1 year of the completed transaction and live there continuously for 6 months.
The value of the grant depends on your contract date:
- $15,000 for contracts dated
- October 2012 to 30 June 2016
- 1 July 2018 or later
- $20,000 for contracts dated from 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2018.
This guide will explain applying for a first home owner grant, and your obligations after receiving it.